Travis and Becky Fletcher: Pappy

Monday, December 26, 2005

Pappy

Just over a week ago, Travis' grampa, a.k.a. Pappy, suffered a heart attack. Since then he has been in the Medicine Hat Hospital and then transferred to the Foothills hospital in Calgary. He has been waiting for open heart surgery, and quite frankly, the Canadian Health system has not been friendly to Pappy, waiting all this time, but this is not what this post is all about.

Pappy (Herf Telke) is scheduled for a quintuple bipass first thing tomorrow (tuesday) morning. It's late now and I know most of you won't read this until later, but when you read this can you please send up a little prayer?? For the surgeons and for his recovery, whenever you read this. The dangers of this surgery are quite large, because of his age, and the degree that his arteries are clogged up. 2 of the arteries were pretty well closed right up, about 80%. He suffered a heart attack 4 years ago, but has remained healthy and active, which has helped his heart develop it's own passages, which kept him around until now.

I know Pappy as well as I know my own grandparents, and love him just as well. He is so full of life, and has such a zest for God, and an abundance of knowledge and faith. He plays baseball and curls, and goes for log walks every day. The doctors just gave him a list of 9 things that generally cause heart attacks, like smoking, drinking, obesity, a sedentary lifestyle, bad dieat, genetics, etc etc, and he said no to every single one of them! Pappy was a missionary in Africa for part of his life and is one of the strongest Christians I know. Trav's mom was just telling me how he lives his life with one arm in heaven. He would be happy to go to heaven right now. After his first heart attack he was a bit sad when he made it. He knew where he was going and he wanted to be with God. When we were visiting him this past week he told me this too, that he would be happy to go to heaven, but he would be sad to leave his wife behind. Poor Mammy has spent her Christmas in the hospital, but she would rather be there than anywhere else in the world. They are so cute, always holding hands, treasuring every moment they have together. They celebrated their 50th anniversary last year. I hope Travis and I still look in each other's eyes the way they do in 50 years. Pappy told me that he wants to dance at our wedding, and I want so much for him to be there. It wouldn't be the same without him. Is it selfish to want to keep him from heaven a while longer? Travis is the eldest of their grandchildren, and ours will be the first wedding. Travis came up with their names when he was little, calling them "Mammy" and "Pappy", and it stuck.

There is so much more I could say about Pappy, and Mammy, for that matter. But please pray for him in these next few days.

Not my will, Lord, but yours be done.

3 Comments:

Blogger Janice said...

Wow, i am amazed at people who have such strong faith! I pray for faith like that everyday! I'll be praying for you and his family.

9:58 a.m.  
Blogger Christy and Dustin said...

Wow! What an amazing testimony to live a life walking so close to God. May God's will be done. I will pray for Travis, his mom and For Mammy and Pappy. Love you Becky. Miss you.
Chris

6:55 p.m.  
Blogger Angella said...

So cool to see faith in action like that. I liked the part about "one arm in heaven". I'll be praying for you all...

9:03 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home