Travis and Becky Fletcher: OUR Story

Thursday, October 26, 2006

OUR Story

I'm hopping on the bandwagon. That, and I figured you would all love to hear about something other than our darling Chloe.

In the summer between grade 11 and 12, I worked at a Banquet Hall, Country Kitchens Catering. One day, I think it was a friday night, my friend Kristin and I decided to go cruising after work. This was a very popular activity for young Lethbridge-ites. We stopped at IGA, the hottest spot to stop, and saw a group of people we knew, so we talked to them. And guess who was there.... you guessed it, Travis. I had known of him from Youth Group, but, since he's about 3 years older than me, we had never really hung out or connected before then. Neither of us can figure this out. We knew a lot of the same people. Moving on. Travis ha just been asked by a friend of his to be on a float in the Lethbridge parade the next day. So, Travis asked Kristin and I, and we said yes. Kristin chickened out so I so bravely went by myself, a big step for a shy girl like me! I also gave him my "number", which, at the time, was my mom's cell phone number. The float we were on was for a hot tub company, so... I was in a Bikini. No wonder he fell for me!! I knew right away that Travis was something special. I remember getting on the float and not wanting the other girl who was with us to sit by him, so I stuck myself right in the middle. We talked the whole time. Again, a big step for a shy girl. Travis told me that he was moving to Edmonton the next week to study Computer Science at the U of A.

The float finally came back to its starting point in the parking lot at the mall. As we were walking back to our cars, as cheesy as it sounds, I knew I couldn't let him get away. So I called back at him, "Travis.... do you want to do something later?" and we both say that our hearts skipped a beat. He of course said yes, and we went on our first date that night, a movie, Blue Crush.

Travis moved to Edmonton, and attended University. Luckily, Christy and Dustin were in Edmonton, and were expecting little Benjamin. So mom and I went up to Edmonton a few times in expectation of Benny and when he was actually born. Travis so nicely hung out with my family and newborn baby Ben. OK this part of the story is getting really long. We are only about two weeks into "meeting" each other. Speeding it up now. One weekend when Travis was down in Lethbridge, we watched Monsters Inc at his parent's house. During that fateful night, we held hands for the first time, after much flirting, friendship, emails and phone calls. When I went home that night he asked me on their driveway, "So do you want to try the long distance thing?" So romantic. And try we did.

Travis and I racked up HUGE phone bills, which truely amazed my mom as she could hardly get 2 words out of me. We talked almost every day from 10 until who knows when, sometimes 3 or 4 in the morning.

I convinced Trav to transfer to U of L here in Lethbridge, and we continued our relationship. I think it was about right after I graduated from High School that I started asking Travis when we were getting married.

2 WHOLE years after that, on April 30th, 2005, it finally happened. Travis asked me in a wonderful, romantic way in beautiful waterton. It was filled with scooter rides, yummy meal, and a treasure hunt around Waterton, ending on a hillside, with lots of rose petals, some of them spelling out "Will You Marry Me?" on a BIG rock.

The next year was one of the hardest, AND most wonderful years in my life. It was SO hard being away from Travis for so long, but it was also wonderful knowing that we would be married soon, and I was planning the wedding of my dreams.

We were married just four and a half months ago, on June 10, 2006. It was a beautiful day, and my dreams came true. And now we are Married. And on August 8 Chloe was born!! (you knew I couldn't leave her out!)

4 Comments:

Blogger Kaili said...

Cool to hear your story. We got married on April 30th, 2005, the same day you guys got engaged. Sweet!

9:38 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ummm, it's obvious that Chloe was conceived before you were married. You oughtta be ashamed. :)
Your story is so sweet and it sounds as though married life is treating you kindly.

8:34 a.m.  
Blogger Ally said...

Hey Beck!
Good story. I remember hearing all about that when I was younger, like in Grade 8 or something. So cool!!

P.S-You should check out my blog if you haven't already. :)

11:49 a.m.  
Blogger D said...

that's so cute

3:57 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home